What are arachnids?
This is the group of invertebrates (animals without backbones) that include spiders, scorpions, harvestmen, mites and ticks. There are about 65,000 species of arachnid, half of which are spiders.
A spider web in Lake Tawakoni State Park in Texas, USA, covered 180 sq m (1,940 sq ft) of trees and bushes. What was once a white web soon turned dark when hundreds of mosquitoes got caught in it.
How to qualify as an arachnid?
- You will need a tough outer skeleton (exoskeleton), like insects and crustaceans.
- Eat other animals.
- Have eight legs.
- Make sure your body is divided into two parts with the legs attached to the front part, and, in spiders, silk-making glands in the back part.
- See using up to eight eyes.
WHAT`S IN THE NAME?
Bird-eating spiders do occasionally eat birds, but usually they go for insects, frogs, mice and lizards, tasty!
Scary Spidy stats:
- Some large spiders lay more than 2,000 eggs in a single egg sac.
- The average spider can weave a web in less than one hour.
- An empress of China once demanded a robe made entirely out of spider web silk. It took 8,000 spiders to make her coat.
- The black widow spider`s bite is reported to be 15 times stronger than that of a rattlesnake.
WHAT ABOUT ME?
Arachnophobia is an over-the-top fear of spiders, and it`s the world`s commonest phobia-even though most spiders are harmless.
Hair Fair ! ! !
Spiders sense the world around them through their hairs, which can detect tiny vibrations, and some are even able to taste if threatened brushes its legs against its body to send tiny barbed hairs into the eyes, nose, or mouth of the predator. So never stroke a tarantula! They use their hairs for:
- Sensing the world around the world.
- Courtship displays.
- Moving around.
- Catching prey.
Now who eats that! : Weird Arachnid dishes from around the world
Central America: Char-grilled bird- eating spider with pepper sauce
China: Fried crispy scorpion
Cambodia: Fried Thai zebra tarantula
Brazil: Roasted tarantula eggs
TOP FIVE COUNTDOWN
Most Dangerous Spiders
- Funnel web spider Australia
- Black widow spider North America
- Red back spider Australia
- Brown recluse spider USA
- Brazilian wandering spider Central and South America
- Goliath bird-eating spider leg span: 30cm (12 in).
- Honduran curly hair spider leg span: 30 cm (8 in).
- Bolivian pink bird-eating spider leg span: 20 cm (8 in).
- Goliath pink toe spider leg span: 18 cm (7 in).
- King baboon spider leg span: 17 cm (6.7 in).
Good enough to eat…
Male spiders, which are usually smaller than females, sometimes get eaten by their partner after mating. It`s not a lover`s tiff- it`s usually because the females mistakes their mates for prey.